If you’re in the market for some new fishing pliers, there are many things you should look for.
First, you should consider the materials used to make them. Stainless steel, aluminum, titanium, lanyards, and sheaths are some of the most popular materials and features used to make these tools.
Another consideration should be the brand of the manufacturer.
Excellent warranties often come with pliers bought from brands that are reputable Also, you should consider ergonomics when buying pliers to ensure they’re comfortable, and remember to keep in mind what your use for the pliers are, meaning, are you fishing for bass in a freshwater lake or going after mahi-mahi on an inshore skiff?
The Best Fishing Pliers for Saltwater
Bubba Blade 7.5 Inch
The Bubba Blade is a reputable brand recognized by most saltwater anglers. This plier is great for saltwater fishing, featuring an aluminum frame and stainless steel jaws. Although not pictured, they also feature a lanyard and sheath. Additional features include carbide cutters, springloaded design, ring splitter tip, and crimper tool.
|-Aluminum body w/ stainless steel jaws|
-Thick rubber grips that are easily visible
-Comes w/ a lanyard and sheath
|-Some complaints of the braid cutter not working well|
- DIMENSIONS: 7.5” overall length with 2” jaws
- EASE OF USE: Quickly remove hooks or replace treble hooks on your favorite lure while out catching fish
- RELIABLE: Patented Bubba Blade Non-Slip Grip handle ensure the pliers stay firmly anchored in your hand even when wet
- DURABLE: Aerospace aluminum construction for reliable lightweight usability – built for ultimate control, strength and durability
- CONVENIENT: The Ti-Nitride coated, rust resistant blade cuts through scales easily and features an extra sharp tip to make starting your cut a breeze and a sheath with a belt loop for close, hands free carry
Gerber Magniplier 7.5 Inch
Gerber has created a great solution for saltwater anglers. They provide a unique corrosion-resistant design that enables extra gripping strength. The extended jaws are great, and most components are exchangeable on this model, allowing you to swap worn-out parts.
|-“SaltRX” Coating = corrosion resistant|
-Exchangable parts (jaw tips and carbide cutters)
-Comes w/ a quality lanyard and sheath
-Huge amount of features
-Some complaints about the sheath
-Some complaints about the locking mechanism
- High-Quality Fishing Accessory: The Magniplier pliers provide extended reach and line of sight to remove hooks from the belly
- Durable Fishing Tool: These fishing pliers are optimized to withstand harsh saltwater environments with added corrosion-resistant protection
- Ergonomic Pliers: The Gerber Magniplier has an ergonomic control system and optimized space between handles for maximum power
- Needlenose Pliers: These pliers have a comfortable finger choil and an angled, off-axis shape
- Gerber Guarantee: As a testament to our unrelenting commitment to quality and service, Gerber is proud to offer a limited lifetime warranty on all products
OUR PICK: Cuda 7.5 Inch Pliers and Wire Cutters
The Cuda pliers are our pick for the best saltwater fishing pliers because of their craftsmanship, shape, and features. They are made of aluminum alloy and have titanium bonded tungsten cutters and scale pattern rubber grips. On top of that, they come with a heavy-duty nylon sheath and lanyard.
|-Extremely well built|
-Aluminum (rust-free) material
-Comes w/ a quality lanyard and sheath
-Simple construction yet very purposeful
|-Price (but you get what you pay for on these)|
-Some complaints about the sheath
- Versatile Wire Fishing Tools: Must-have boat and kayak accessories for fishing, our 7.5-inch fishing pliers are designed to offer great leverage for hook removal, making them perfect for trout, fly, and ice fishing
- Durable Construction: This fishing line cutter features a full-tang design and aluminum alloy construction that resist corrosion, ensuring a long lifespan for this fishing gear
- Essential Fishing Accessories: Fish hook remover tool also offers an integrated crimper and 2 sets of titanium-bonded tungsten carbide cutters that handle wire, high leverage mono, braid & fluorocarbon, making it even more useful on water and land
- Comfort Grip: The handles feature a unique Cuda scale pattern designed to provide an incredibly secure and comfortable grip in all environments and conditions
- Fierce, Tough, Proven: The Cuda brand was designed with the strength, power and agility of the Barracuda; Cuda fishing products are built for ultimate fishing performance and will continue to perform over time
The Best Fishing Pliers for Freshwater
Dr. Slick Squall 7.5 Inch Fishing Plier
These pliers are a very versatile tool. They are made from aircraft-grade anodized aluminum and feature extremely effective tungsten carbide cutters for when you need to cut the line without any hassle. And if that’s not enough, the Dr. Slick pliers feature a lanyard attached to a sheath for convenience and lowering the chances it will ever get lost.
|-Great quality (aluminum body, tungsten carbide cutter)|
-The rubber grip fits well into your hand, allowing easy operation
-Affordability for the level of quality
|-Feel cold in the winter (aluminum gets very cold)|
- Designed with HR 70+ anvil tungsten carbide side cutters, these T.C. cutters make short work of any monofilament and excel at cutting the new-age braid and synthetic lines
- Half Smooth, Half Striated Jaw Structure
- Anvil Tungsten Carbide Side Cutters
- Anodozed Aluminum
- Non-slip Rubber Grips
KastKing Cutthroat Pliers 7 inch
These are similar to the Dr. Slick Pliers but built with a stainless steel form coated with a Teflon spray that is corrosion resistant. This makes the KastKing plier more affordable while retaining nice features such as a rubber-coated handle, a separate sheath, and a lanyard attached to a carabiner for easy attachment. They also feature tungsten carbide cutters, a crimping slot, and serrated jaws.
|-More features than most fishing pliers|
-Combination of pliers, lanyard, and sheath
|-Lower quality than its aluminum-based competitors|
-Shorter length for retrieving hooks
-The lanyard isn’t built to last
- 420 Corrosion Resistant Stainless Steel – The KastKing Cutthroat fishing pliers are made from corrosion resistant 420 stainless steel and coated with a tough Polymer coating for added protection. Our stainless steel fishing pliers are 46% harder than aluminum pliers and nearly 3 times the bending strength of aluminum pliers. Designed for long term performance, these fishing pliers are ideal for both freshwater and harsh saltwater environments.
- Tungsten Carbide Cutters – Super hard tungsten carbide cutters slice though mono, fluorocarbon, or braid with ease. Side mounted anvil cutters for easy access, these cutters allow you to cut your tag end as close to the knot as you desire without any obstructions and the raised surface behind the blade ensures your line will always be in the cutting zone.
- Multi-Function Jaws – Grab and remove any fish hook with the serrated jaws or take advantage of the crimping slots to secure a split shot weight or build a steel leader. To cinch down a knot quickly and safely, insert your hook into one of the holes in the jaws and pull on your hook to create a tight knot. Available in both a straight nose and a Split ring nose design.
- Rubber Handle – The ergonomic textured rubber handle provides comfort and control. A thin grip profile and the spring loaded jaws allow for easy one hand use without worrying about the pliers slipping out of your hands.
- Sheath/Lanyard Included – Includes a custom molded sheath with belt clip to ensure your investment is protected from normal wear and tear. Clip on to your belt or the waistband of your shorts, to make sure you have quick access when a fish is on the line and the coiled lanyard will ensure your pliers don’t fall overboard!
OUR PICK: Rapala 6.5 Inch Fisherman’s Pliers
The Rapala 6.5″ Fisherman Pliers are a staple for any fisherman. They are quality, and they do their job. The construction and contour allow for an easy grip and great control while retrieving swallowed hooks. The is steel made based with a larger than usual rubber handle. They feel great in your hands and should expect from a brand that creates some of the best fishing lures.
|-Rapala is a great brand that is reputable and been around a long time|
-Great shape and quality construction
|-Comes without a lanyard or a sheath|
-It isn’t the best metal (steel) but makes up for that in its pricing
- Carbon steel construction with nickel plated finish.
- Co-molded grips for added comfort
Options to Consider for Your Fishing Pliers
Stainless steel fishing pliers are very useful. Not only do they protect your hands from the elements, but they are lightweight and comfortable to use. They are also a great investment because they last for years. If you are looking for the best pliers for fishing, you should consider buying a set of the Bubba Blade pliers. These are 7.5 inches long and have a 2-inch jaw. Stainless steel is one of the best options since it is durable enough to withstand salt water and rust, but be sure to clean them thoroughly after use.
Stainless steel pliers are available in a variety of shapes and sizes. A good set will have a line cutter on the right side. This will help you cut the line without fumbling with your fishing vest. Moreover, these pliers also have a long needle nose to make removing the hook much easier.
If you fish from a boat, you should have a pair of fishing pliers made of aluminum. The material is lightweight and durable, so they are easy to carry. Some models come with a lanyard, essential if you’re fishing from a boat. Some also include a sheath, which can be useful for wading if you need to release a fish quickly. And, of course, you should always check the sizing before buying a pair.
Titanium fishing pliers can be expensive, but these are a great option for fly fishing. They will last for years and can be used by many fishing enthusiasts. A great pair of titanium fishing pliers can last for decades, making any trip memorable.
Retractable lanyards for fishing are the perfect way to keep your small tools handy while you’re out on the water. They are spring-loaded and can be attached to tackle boxes, clothing, or both. The lanyard’s flexible cord gives you maximum flexibility, while the swivel clip keeps your tools securely attached to the reel. There are several different styles of retractable lanyards available, so you’ll be able to find the perfect one.
Most fishing pliers come equipped with built-in cutters. This is great if you don’t want to ruin your teeth like I used to do when I was a kid. A cutter on your pliers is especially important if you like to travel light and combine tools into multi-purpose things like a good pair of fishing pliers. Braided line causes a lot of anglers problems when they don’t have appropriate cutters. Having a fishing plier that has a cutter is just extra insurance in case you need it. Why not?
If you’ve ever had a bass swallow a plastic worm then you know the importance of the nose length of your fishing pliers. The longer the nose is, the better. It will allow you to get into the throat of the fish and get out the hook.
When fishing for fish with sharp teeth or barbs, such as catfish, nose length becomes even more important. A proper pair of pliers is essential for fishing for these species. Check out our article on the best catfish rig for bank fishing.
What are Your Uses?
What will you be using the fishing pliers for? If you are freshwater fishing for bass, you will need a very different plier than an offshore fisherman. Make sure to match your use case with a fishing plier that will fit your needs.
The is a huge variety of fishing pliers to choose from and because of that, the cost for each one varies greatly. You can be looking at pricing from $20-$100. You can find something great within that range that will last for years (hopefully). Make sure to match your frequency of use and where you’ll be fishing with the appropriate fishing plier.
Split Ring Tool
This feature isn’t a huge deal for most anglers. A split ring tool allows you to split the ring off of hooks (usually bigger hooks). This may be essential for those targeting larger fish. Often you’ll see this kind of feature on boats that fish offshore.
The material of the grip and the contour makes a difference when you find yourself using them all day when fishing. The options range from rubber and an assortment of metal and plastic. Molded grips are also great, allowing for an ergonomic design that helps apply pressure when you need it most.
Do you like having your tools close by? A sheath can often be attached to your belt, but at the very least, it protects the pliers from getting marred and damaged when not used.
Frequently Asked Question
It’s not recommended but possible. I’d be lying if I said I hadn’t done it in my younger years, but appropriate fishing pliers have the strength, shape, and features that come into play when fishing on the regular. If you are fishing or want to go fishing more often, get yourself a good pair of fishing pliers. It will save you a lot of heartaches when a fish swallows your lure.
Pliers are a useful tool when you are fishing. Treble hooks in particular, give anglers a tough time when trying to remove them from the mouth of the caught fish. Pliers help with this. Also, pliers often have cutters built into them, allowing the angler to cut their line, even if it is braided.
Split ring pliers feature a jaw that opens small rings, often the ringlets of hooks, when compressed.
The best brands of fishing pliers include Gerber, Bubba, Cuda, KastKing, and Rapala.
In our opinion, the best saltwater fishing pliers are made by Cuda, which can be found here.
Most fishing pliers have a cutter built into their design that can handle braided fishing line.
The best bass fishing pliers, in our opinion, are the classic designed Rapala Fishermen’s pliers found here.